News & Publications
- 2023.13: Allen Institute - So you want to donate your brain to science: the story of Monte Strohl
- 2022.09: Allen Institute - Mapping the whole human brain: Allen Institute to lead global collaboration
- 2022.08: NPR - Alzheimer's researchers are looking beyond plaques and tangles for new treatments
- 2022.07: Allen Institute - Video: Where does Alzheimer's begin?
- 2022.07: Allen Institute - Cell by cell, scientists are building a high-resolution map of brain changes in Alzheimer’s disease
- 2022.05: Seattle Times - UW coaching legend Jim Lambright's brain donation pays dividends years after his death
- 2021.04: KOMO TV - Doctors, researchers in Puget Sound study effects of CTE
- 2020: UW - Video: The Tragedy and Promise of Matt's Brain
- 2020.06: Allen Institute: Seattle researchers team up to build hi-res brain map of Alzheimer's disease
- 2020.06: NPR - Alzheimer's Researchers Go Back To Basics To Find The Best Way Forward
- 2019.11: UCSF - C. Dirk Keene, MD, PhD. Weill Neurohub united UC Berkeley, UC San Francisco, and University of Washington to find new treatments for brain diseases.
- 2019.10: UW - $17.2 M grant to explore link between aging eyes and brains
- 2018.06: KIRO TV - Washington State football player had brain damage at suicide
- 2017.10: Washington Post - 'We are the NFL in 1962’: Researchers say professional bull rider who killed himself had CTE
- 2017.10: Calgary Herald - Post-mortem exam confirms chronic brain injury in rodeo star Ty Pozzobon
- 2017.07: UW - Dr. Dirk Keene Comments on Largest Study of CTE in Football Player Brains, KOMO NewsRadio [Full Transcript]
- 2017.05: KING5 TV - Donated brains a ‘tremendous gift’ to science, UW Medicine says
- 2016.05: UW - Tackling the Science of Brain Injury and Dementia Risk
- 2016.07: UW - Evidence of a Brain Injury - Parkinson's Link Strengthens
- 2016.05: Seattle Times - Soldiers' donated brains could hold key to understanding military injuries
- 2016.05: UW - Expanded online database on aging, dementia, and traumatic brain injury
- Marcum ZA, Keene CD, Larson EB. Leveraging neuropathological data in pharmacoepidemiology: A promising approach for dementia prevention? Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2020 Jun 29. doi: 10.1002/pds.5068. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32602137.
- Schindler SE, Jicha GA, Nelson PT, Keene CD, Blennow K, Molinuevo JL, Masters CL, Hansson O, Teunissen CE, Galasko D, Shaw LM, Levey AI, Silverberg N. Maximizing Safety in the Conduct of Alzheimer's Disease Fluid Biomarker Research in the Era of COVID-19. J Alzheimers Dis. 2020 Jun 19. doi: 10.3233/JAD-200684. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32568212.
- Henriksen J, Kolognizak T, Houghton T, Cherne S, Zhen D, Cimino PJ, Latimer CS, Scherpelz KP, Yoda RA, Alpers CE, Chhieng DF, Dirk Keene C, Gonzalez-Cuyar LF. Rapid Validation of Telepathology by an Academic Neuropathology Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020 Jun 18. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2020-0372-SA. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32551815.
- Zimmermann HR, Yang W, Kasica NP, Zhou X, Wang X, Beckelman BC, Lee J, Furdui CM, Keene CD, Ma T. Brain-specific repression of AMPKα1 alleviates pathophysiology in Alzheimer's model mice. J Clin Invest. 2020 May 26:133982. doi: 10.1172/JCI133982. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32213711.
- Chen DH, Latimer C, Yagi M, Ndugga-Kabuye MK, Heigham E, Jayadev S, Meabon JS, Gomez CM, Keene CD, Cook DG, Raskind WH, Bird TD. Heterozygous STUB1 missense variants cause ataxia, cognitive decline, and STUB1 mislocalization. Neurol Genet. 2020 Feb 10;6(2):1-13. doi: 10.1212/NXG.0000000000000397. PMID: 32211513; PMCID: PMC7073456.
- Gauthreaux K, Bonnett TA, Besser LM, Brenowitz WD, Teylan M, Mock C, Chen YC, Chan KCG, Keene CD, Zhou XH, Kukull WA. Concordance of Clinical Alzheimer Diagnosis and Neuropathological Features at Autopsy. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2020 May 1;79(5):465-473. doi: 10.1093/jnen/nlaa014. PMID: 32186726; PMCID: PMC7160616.
- D'Souza GX, Rose SE, Knupp A, Nicholson DA, Keene CD, Young JE. The application of in vitro-derived human neurons in neurodegenerative disease modeling. J Neurosci Res. 2020 Mar 13. doi: 10.1002/jnr.24615. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32170790.
- Reiman EM, Arboleda-Velasquez JF, Quiroz YT, Huentelman MJ, Beach TG, Caselli RJ, Chen Y, Su Y, Myers AJ, Hardy J, Paul Vonsattel J, Younkin SG, Bennett DA, De Jager PL, Larson EB, Crane PK, Keene CD, Kamboh MI, Kofler JK, Duque L, Gilbert JR, Gwirtsman HE, Buxbaum JD, Dickson DW, Frosch MP, Ghetti BF, Lunetta KL, Wang LS, Hyman BT, Kukull WA, Foroud T, Haines JL, Mayeux RP, Pericak-Vance MA, Schneider JA, Trojanowski JQ, Farrer LA, Schellenberg GD, Beecham GW, Montine TJ, Jun GR; Alzheimer’s Disease Genetics Consortium. Exceptionally low likelihood of Alzheimer's dementia in APOE2 homozygotes from a 5,000-person neuropathological study. Nat Commun. 2020 Feb 3;11(1):667. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-14279-8. PMID: 32015339; PMCID: PMC6997393.
- Lee EG, Tulloch J, Chen S, Leong L, Saxton AD, Kraemer B, Darvas M, Keene CD, Shutes-David A, Todd K, Millard S, Yu CE. Redefining transcriptional regulation of the APOE gene and its association with Alzheimer's disease. PLoS One. 2020 Jan 24;15(1):e0227667. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0227667. PMID: 31978088; PMCID: PMC6980611.
- Latimer CS, Burke BT, Liachko NF, Currey HN, Kilgore MD, Gibbons LE, Henriksen J, Darvas M, Domoto-Reilly K, Jayadev S, Grabowski TJ, Crane PK, Larson EB, Kraemer BC, Bird TD, Keene CD. Resistance and resilience to Alzheimer's disease pathology are associated with reduced cortical pTau and absence of limbic-predominant age-related TDP-43 encephalopathy in a community-based cohort. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2019 Jun 7;7(1):91. doi: 10.1186/s40478-019-0743-1. Erratum in: Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2019 Aug 14;7(1):131. PMID: 31174609; PMCID: PMC6556006.
- Latimer CS, Shively CA, Keene CD, Jorgensen MJ, Andrews RN, Register TC, Montine TJ, Wilson AM, Neth BJ, Mintz A, Maldjian JA, Whitlow CT, Kaplan JR, Craft S. A nonhuman primate model of early Alzheimer's disease pathologic change: Implications for disease pathogenesis. Alzheimers Dement. 2019 Jan;15(1):93-105. doi: 10.1016/j.jalz.2018.06.3057. Epub 2018 Nov 19. PMID: 30467082; PMCID: PMC6383152.
- Keene CD, Wilson AM, Kilgore MD, Bruner LT, Postupna NO, Darvas M. Luminex-based quantification of Alzheimer's disease neuropathologic change in formalin-fixed post-mortem human brain tissue. Lab Invest. 2019 Jul;99(7):1056-1067. doi: 10.1038/s41374-018-0165-x. Epub 2018 Dec 20. PMID: 30573871; PMCID: PMC6586549.
Alzheimer's researchers are looking beyond plaques and tangles for new treatments
Where does Alzheimer's begin?
2022.07 Allen Institute: "There is every reason to believe that Alzheimer's disease has its roots in specific types of brain cells. That's why Allen Institute scientists, together with collaborators at UW Medicine and Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute and with support from the National Institute on Aging, are taking a new approach, cell by cell, to understand the disease. They've just released their first dataset, from 1.2M brain cells, that hints at the kinds of cells that die off or change in the neurodegenerative disease."
Childhood Injury: Matt's Brain
2020.10 UW Medicine: Matt’s parents, Bob and Linda, along with C. Dirk Keene, MD, PhD, and his team at the UW Biorepository and Integrated Neuropathology (BRaIN) Laboratory are fighting to find answers and honor Matt’s legacy.
Grand Rounds: Traumatic Brain Injury
2022.01 UW Pathology: Chronic effects and common mechanisms of injury associated with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Sports: Concussions and head trauma
2018.06 KING5: Former Seahawks linebacker Michael Jackson and UW Medicine's Dr. Dirk Keene talk through the complications of concussions and head trauma.